A: American Indians camped at Mount Calvert at least 8,000 years ago, although a 9,200 year old radiocarbon date was discovered from an ancient camp site nearby. Native people were still living on the property in the 1600s when European colonists arrived.
Q: What was “Charles Town”?
A: Charles Town was the name given to Mount Calvert in 1696 when it became the first seat of government in Prince George's County. The town featured a deep water port, a court house, a jail, and several taverns. The County seat moved to Upper Marlboro in the 1720s and all of the old town buildings were torn down in the next several decades. Archaeologists have found where several of these buildings once stood and have worked to recreate the landscape of the town.
Q: When was the brick mansion at Mount Calvert built?
A: John Brown built the stately brick house around 1780 and constructed a detached brick kitchen around 1800. Brown attempted to create a successful plantation, but his efforts bankrupted him. John Brookes bought the property around 1840 and added to the house, resulting in the finished product we see today.