The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission
 > Commission Home > Our Departments > Central Administrative Services > Finance > Purchasing > How To Do Business with M-NCPPC

How To Do Business with M-NCPPC

What is the Commission’s overall purchasing policy?

Commission purchasing is conducted to achieve maximum value from the expenditure of public funds. All procurement transactions are conducted in accordance with Commission procedures and applicable state and federal laws in a manner that encourages and maintains good community, public, vendor and interdepartmental relations; ensures fair and equitable treatment of all persons who deal with the Commission in purchasing matters; promotes economy in Commission purchasing; ensures that the Commission is not an active or passive participant in discrimination against minority, women or disabled-owned businesses; and provides safeguards for the maintenance of a procurement system of quality and integrity.

The Commission has adopted a policy on ethics in purchasing. This policy applies to non-employees as well as employees of the Commission. Of particular interest to non-employees are provisions prohibiting any person to offer, give, or agree to give any Commission employee or former Commission employee a gratuity or an offer of employment in connection with any aspect of a Commission procurement. Further, payment or offers to pay contingent fees related to procurement of Commission purchases are prohibited except for retention of bona fide employees or bona fide established commercial selling agencies for the purpose of securing business. Potential offerors are urged to review the ethics policy in detail. Copies may be requested from the Purchasing Division at (301) 454-1600.

It is the policy of the Commission that it not be an active or passive participant in discrimination against minority, female or disabled-owned firms (MFDs). The Commission has implemented an Anti-Discrimination Program that seeks to ensure that MFDs have the same opportunities to succeed or fail in pursuing Commission procurements as any other potential vendor absent the effects of discrimination. The Anti-Discrimination Program also addresses treatment of MFDs when performing work for the Commission. Offerors are encouraged to review the Anti-Discrimination Policy in its entirety. Copies may be requested from the Fair Practices Office at (301) 454-1740.

What types of Items does the Commission purchase?

The Commission purchases a wide range of goods, professional services, miscellaneous services and construction services. Procurements range from multi-million dollar building projects to contracts for instructors to teach classes at Commission facilities.

How do I learn about specific Commission procurements?

The Commission generally advertises Invitations for Bids and Requests for Proposals exceeding $30,000 electronically, via, as well as  From time to time, the Commission may also advertise in the Washington Examiner, The Afro-American and The Metro Herald.  Interested firms can call the office listed in the advertisement or call the Purchasing Division to receive the specific solicitation. Commission staff may also mail Invitations for Bids or Requests for Proposals to firms on the Commission’s computerized bidders list. For smaller purchases, the Commission usually does not advertise procurements. Instead, some or all of the firms on the Commission’s bidders list that provide that good or service will be solicited by phone, mail or facsimile.

Prospective bidders should submit a Bidders List Registration Form to be included in the Commission’s computerized bidders list. Contact the Purchasing Division for a copy of this form.

Who does the purchasing for the Commission?

The Commission uses a decentralized purchasing system in which those to whom the Secretary-Treasurer have given signature authority are able to make their own purchases not to exceed $10,000. The Purchasing Division of the Finance Department (301) 454-1600 provides assistance during the purchasing process and reviews documentation to ensure that purchasing procedures are correctly followed. However, much of the work of contacting firms for quotes under $30,000 is done by Purchasing Aides in individual Commission departments and facilities.

Who should I market to?

While the Commission uses a system of decentralized purchasing, a potential vendor can contact the Purchasing Division with any inquiries regarding purchasing opportunities. The Purchasing Office is located in the M-NCPPC Executive Office Building at 6611 Kenilworth Avenue, Suite #300 , Riverdale , MD 20737 . Normal office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. We recommend that sales representatives schedule appointments with staff to ensure availability on the day you plan to visit. A list of contacts for Commission procurements may be obtained from the Purchasing Division’s website.

Submission of a Bidders List Registration Form also places the firm in the database that Commission Purchasing Aides access to send solicitations. Being listed in the database does not ensure that a firm will be contacted for any procurement opportunity.

For low-dollar procurements (under $10,000), individual Commission facilities are free to make their own purchasing decisions. In these cases, it may be useful to market your products and services directly to each Facility Manager/Director.

A complete list of all Commission facilities is available on our website,

Where can I look at plans or specifications?

Plans and specifications may be downloaded at  at no charge.

Plans and lengthy specifications may be costly to print and may not be distributed with solicitations. Interested firms can view plans and specifications documents for Commission projects at the following locations. (For some plans and specifications, the Commission may charge a fee to cover the printing costs incurred.)

Montgomery Park Planning & Development Div.
9500 Brunett Avenue
Room B113
Silver Spring, MD 20901
(301) 495-2546
Prince George’s Park Planning & Development Div.
6600 Kenilworth Avenue
Room 205
Riverdale, MD 20737
(301) 699-2569

How do I request clarification on bids?

A bidder can request an interpretation or clarification of any of the information concerning the solicitation. The bidder should submit a request for clarification in writing at least 5 working days prior to the date set for receipt of bids. The potential bidder should direct this request to the contact person identified on the solicitation or the Purchasing Division. The Commission will respond in writing and send this information to all firms holding bid documents. A bidder who fails to request any such clarification waives any claim for additional cost or time spent addressing any ambiguity, error, inconsistency or discrepancy in any information, which is found to have been apparent at the time of receipt of bids.

Pre-proposal conferences, pre-bid conferences and site visits may be held for some procurements. During these conferences, Commission staff advise potential offerors of special or technical requirements of a project and allow potential offerors to ask questions about the work to be performed. Attendance at these conferences is not mandatory, unless otherwise stated. Any information disseminated at such a conference will be made available to all firms holding RFPs or IFBs and any other firms indicating an interest in receiving the information.

Are bid or contract security bonds required?

As required by State of Maryland law, a performance bond and a labor and material payment bond, each in the amount of 100 percent of the contract amount, are required for any construction contract in excess of $100,000. The successful bidder must deliver the executed performance and payment bonds, together with all require certificates of insurance, to the Commission within 10 calendar days after Notice of Intent to award the contract. If the successful bidders fail to deliver these items within that period, the Commission will reject the bid and the bidder will forfeit the bid guaranty.

Bonds are sometimes required for smaller projects at the discretion of the Commission’s Secretary-Treasurer. Bid documents will clearly identify whether bonds are required. The Fair Practice Office has information regarding bonding and financial assistance referrals.

Can I withdraw or modify my bid after submission?

At any time prior to the specified bid opening time and date, bids may be modified or withdrawn in person by a bidder or his or her authorized representative. Bids may not be withdrawn for a period of 90 days after the bid opening unless otherwise specified in the Invitation for Bids.

What happens if my bid is late?

Any bid, proposal or modification to a bid or proposal received after the deadline for receipt of bids is late and will not be considered for award.

How are purchasing decisions made?

For purchases made through competitive sealed bidding, the award is recommended to the lowest responsive and responsible bidder, after adjustment for any prompt payment discount. “Responsive” means that the bid conforms in all material respects to the requirements contained in the solicitation. These requirements include specifications about the goods or services to be provided, the delivery or performance schedule, and any other material aspects of the solicitation. Compliance with the Commission’s Anti-Discrimination Program is also a material requirement of all solicitations. “Responsible” means the bidder is capable to fully perform the contract requirements and has demonstrated integrity and reliability that assure good faith performance. References from past work may be contacted to determine responsibility. A bid from a debarred or suspended contractor will be rejected as not responsible.

For purchases made by competitive sealed proposal, the award goes to the offeror whose proposal is most advantageous to the Commission. This means that non-price factors, such as qualifications, experience and personnel resources may be considered. An Evaluation Committee in its review of the proposals uses the evaluation criteria and evaluation weights listed in the RFP. In order to evaluate these non-price factors, the Evaluation Committee may choose to hold such discussions with some or all of the offerors. Before selecting a proposer for contract award, the Evaluation Committee may take into consideration the interviews with the proposers. In some cases, the Commission will first review statements of qualifications from professional services firms to develop a “short list” of firms that will be asked to submit proposals.

Will I be notified about the bid award if I am not selected for award?

Unsuccessful bidders may seek information regarding the award by contacting the contact person identified in the solicitation or the Purchasing Division. Bids and proposals from formal sealed bid and seal proposal processes are retained at Commission offices for a reasonable period of time after the award and are available for review.

Do I have a right to protest an award of a purchase?

Any actual or prospective bidder who is aggrieved in connection with the solicitation of bids or award of a purchase may protest to the Commission’s Purchasing Manager ( 6611 Kenilworth Avenue, Suite 300 , Riverdale , MD 20737 ). A protest must be submitted in writing within 10 calendar days after the aggrieved person knew or should have known of the facts giving rise to the protest. Further instructions on bid protests should be requested from the contact person identified in the solicitation or the Purchasing Manager.

How do I get paid?

A contract or purchase order must be approved before the purchase is made.

Goods and services procured by the Commission undergo inspection prior to acceptance. The responsible Commission staff person inspects the goods or services to ensure the goods are delivered or services are performed as specified in the purchase order or contract. If the goods or services fail to comply with the terms and conditions, the goods delivered or services rendered are rejected and the vendor is so notified. If practicable, the vendor will be allowed time to correct the deficiencies and all for re-inspection.

After the vendor has satisfactorily delivered the goods or services specified, a staff person approves the payment and notifies the Disbursement Section. Only then can the Commission issue payment. Vendors should send their invoices directly to the address shown on the purchase orders (Finance Department, Disbursements Section) and include the purchase order number on all invoices, shipping documents and correspondence.

Contractors should send invoices to Contract/Construction Managers. Vendors and contractors should issue invoices concurrently with or after the shipment of goods or delivery of services. Contractor and vendors should include an Invoice Number, date, a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) or a Social Security Number (SSN) on all invoices. If any of the required information is missing (e.g., invoice, PO number, or TIN/SSN), the payment will be delayed.

How do I get paid if I am a subcontractor?

Prime contractors on Commission projects must submit subcontractor payment verification forms to the Contract/Construction Manager. A subcontractor on a Commission project who experiences problems with a payment should use the form included with the solicitation to contact the Purchasing Division. The Contract/Construction Manager will then investigate the situation. Falsely reporting subcontractor payments is grounds for debarment of prime contractors. (The Commission does not pay subcontractors).

Can firms be debarred or suspended from Commission purchases?

Yes. Causes for debarment include certain convictions for offenses related to business actions, serious violations of contract provisions, violation of the Commission’s ethical standards for procurement, violation of the Commission’s Anti-Discrimination Program or debarment by another governmental entity for causes listed above. Debarment may be for a period of up to three years. The Commission has debarment review and appeal procedures in place. The Commission will provide reasonable notice to the firm or individual involved and reasonable opportunity for the firm or individual to be heard.

What should I do if I have more questions?

Questions concerning a specific solicitation should be directed to the contact person identified in that solicitation or to the Purchasing Division. General questions may be directed to the Purchasing Division. Anti-Discrimination Policy questions may be directed to the Fair Practice Office.