The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission

Human Resources and Management

For questions, please call:

Executive Director’s
Patricia Barney,
Executive Director

Corporate Budget 
John Kroll, Chief

Corporate Policy and
Management Operations
Anju Bennett, Chief


Risk Management and 
Workplace Safety 
(Workers’ Comp. 

and Liability) 
Wanda Wesley-Major, 

Corporate Human Resources
William Spencer,
HR Director


Classification and

Boni King, Manager

Employment Records (HRIS)
Donna Zajaczkowska, Manager

Employee Benefits/
Group Insurance
Jennifer McDonald, Manager

Anika Harris, Manager

and Labor Relations

M-NCPPC Health and Benefits Office


The Maryland National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) designs, develops and administers quality, cost-effective benefit programs.

The agency offers our employees a competitive benefits package. To view M-NCPPC's benefit packages please click the most applicable link below.

Benefit Summaries:

Appointed Officials

Career (Merit) Employee


Term Contract Employees 


Special Enrollments

Links to Providers, Documents, Forms and other Resources





    Benefit News

    Open Enrollment for your 2017 healthcare benefits ended Friday, November 4, 2016. Your elections are now final, with one exception. After Open Enrollment, you can change your healthcare benefit elections only if you experience a qualifying event. This will trigger a special 45-day enrollment window for you to change your elections.

    If you have a qualifying event, in addition to an application for benefit enrollment, you will also need to provide proof of the event. Below is a chart of common qualifying events and the proof required.

    Qualifying Event

    Proof Required

    You want to add a dependent child due to:


    Loss of Other Coverage

    (Child up to age 26)


    (Children under age 18)

    Legal Guardianship

    (Children under age 19)

    Hospital discharge document until official copy of birth certificate and Social Security card are received.

    Official copy of birth certificate and Social Security card.

    Copy of amended birth certificate (when available), Social Security card and documentation showing when the child was placed in your custody. Finalized adoption papers must be received within three months of placement.

    Copy of Birth certificate, Social Security card and documentation showing when the child was placed in your custody. Finalized court order must be received within three months of placement.

    You want to add a dependent child disabled prior to age 26.

    Disability certification forms completed by physician, along with any additional supporting documents.

    You get married and want to add your spouse.

    Copy of your marriage certificate and spouse’s Social Security card.

    You lose healthcare coverage through your spouse’s employer due to your spouse’s termination of employment or loss of eligibility.

    Letter from spouse’s employer or carrier listing name of individual(s) affected, the type of coverage(s) lost and the date coverage was terminated, in addition to any other documentation required if the individual has never beent enrolled in the Commission’s group health plan(s) prior to this event.

    You want to remove your ex-spouse due to a divorce.

    You want to remove your spouse due to legal separation.

    Copy of your divorce decree or annulment, and your ex-spouse’s address for COBRA notification.

    Note: In the event of a divorce, your ex-spouse must be removed within 45 days of the divorce or you will be responsible for any claims incurred after the date of the divorce.

    Copy of a court-approved order recognizing the separation or a copy of a fully-executed separation agreement (does not have to be court-approved) and your spouse’s address for COBRA notification.

    These examples represent the most common qualifying events. If you have a qualifying life event after Open Enrollment and want to make changes in your healthcare elections, you must submit your application for benefit enrollment, noting your changes and required proof to Health & Benefits. All documents must be submitted within 45 days of the event.

    2017 Retirement Savings Account Annual Contribution Limits 457 and Roth/Traditional IRA

    The annual contribution limits for the 457 Deferred Compensation Plan and the Roth and Traditional IRA remain unchanged from those in 2016.

    The annual contribution limit for the 457 Deferred Compensation Plan remains $18,000 ($24,000 if age 50 or over; or $36,000 if qualified for the pre-retirement catch-up). Your contributions are made on a pre-tax basis which reduces your taxable income at the end of the year.

    Contributions to the Roth IRA or the Traditional IRA are made on an after-tax basis. The annual contribution limit remains $5,500 ($6,500 if age 50 or over).

    As we usher in a new year, take time to review your retirement savings accounts to determine if you are on track for a comfortable retirement. You can make changes to your contributions at any time during the year. If you have questions concerning your accounts, contact ICMA-RC at 1-800-669-7400.

    If you have any questions, please contact a representative of the Health & Benefits office at 301-454-1694.

    Contacting Benefits

    For questions regarding benefits, you may email us at or call:

    Jennifer McDonald


    Cynthia Henderson


    Gertie Johnson


    Brian McCord


    Linda Thomas