The M-NCPPC is seeking scripts of original, un-produced one-act plays to be performed by our Teen Performance Ensemble and Prince George’s Children’s Theater. Both troupes perform original musicals for children enrolled in M-NCPPC’s summer playgrounds and camps. The plays will be performed by actors from 16 to 20 years old, and are intended for an audience of children 6 to 12 years old. Submitted plays should have a run time of 45 minutes to 1 hr. Deadline for submissions is January 31, 2018 at 5 p.m.
Awards of $1,500.00 will be presented to up to two (2) finalists, whose plays will be developed during the Spring of 2018 and produced by M-NCPPC during the Summer of 2018. Scripts should be in English, have minimal production requirements that do not depend on theatrical lighting, and be either musicals or non-musicals that can be developed with M-NCPCC into musicals. Playwrights submitting non-musical plays should, if at all possible, incorporate lyrics to make this development process easier. A play submitted with full musical score including recorded soundtrack suitable for performance use shall be eligible for an additional award of $1,500 for Musical Composition.
- Plays must be new, original works or adaptations or dramatizations of fairytales, myths or other works. If adapted material is submitted, written proof must also be submitted indicating that the material used for the script is in the public domain. If the source material is not in the public domain, then the playwright is responsible for obtaining written permission from the owner of the copyright.
- Only one submission per playwright or collaborating team.
- In the case of a play submitted as book and lyrics only, a composer will be selected by The M-NCPPC to score the music and produce the recorded soundtrack.
- Plays should require no more than eight (8) actors, though doubling of roles is permitted.
- Scripts under contract for professional production or which have previously received a professional production are not eligible for this competition. M-NCPPC defines a “professional” production as any production in which tickets were sold. Scripts previously produced in an educational setting are still eligible.
- The final production may be videotaped for telecast by M-NCPPC and will be performed only at M-NCPPC venues in Prince George’s County, MD.
- If none of the submissions meet its content standards, the M-NCPPC reserves the right not to make any selections or awards.
- Employees of M-NCPPC are not eligible for this program.
- To submit a play, you may attach a script by email to email@example.com. Scripts are due no later than 5 p.m. on January 31, 2018
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, Department of Parks and Recreation, Prince George’s County, Arts and Cultural Heritage Division. Arts programs of The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, Arts and Cultural Heritage Division, are supported by a grant from the Maryland State Arts Council, an agency funded by the State of Maryland and the National Endowment for the Arts.