FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – May 8, 2020
MEDIA CONTACT: KIRA CALM LEWIS, 301-446-3327 - or - Kira.CalmLewis@pgparks.com
CHANDA WASHINGTON, 240-565-2584 – or - Chanda.Washington@pgparks.com
M-NCPPC, Department of Parks and Recreation Announces Plans for Summer
Cancellations to Include Camp Programming, and Classes and Events for June;
Virtual Programming to Continue; Golf Courses and Outdoor Tennis Courts to Reopen Soon
Riverdale, MD – Today, the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC), Department of Parks and Recreation in Prince George’s County announces plans for the summer in light of COVID-19. The plans are as follows:
- All traditional summer camps are cancelled in their entirety, including Day Camps and Extended Care, Summer Playgrounds, Xtreme Teen Centers and Safe Summer Centers. The Department will offer creative virtual programming that will include exciting and engaging activities for Prince George’s County residents and youth.
- Golf courses will reopen in mid-May with social distancing guidelines and safety protocols to help keep employees and patrons safe as they enjoy the “greens”.
- Outdoor tennis courts will reopen next week.
- All events and classes that were scheduled for June are cancelled.
- Pools will remain closed until further notice.
“The health and safety of our patrons and employees remain our top priority, and we believe this difficult decision is necessary in order to protect our community. We continue to develop innovative virtual programming to provide our young people with exciting activities to help keep them engaged during the summer,” says Bill Tyler, Director of the M-NCPPC, Department of Parks and Recreation.
All registered participants will automatically receive full refunds for cancelled programming. Parents and guardians do NOT need to make a request. Refunds take approximately three weeks to process and will be applied to the card used for the original transaction. Additional time is required to process refunds for cash, check and money order payments. Contact the Customer Service Help Desk at CustomerService@pgparks.com or call 301-699-2255, TTY 301-699-2544.
The Department continues to urge residents and visitors to do their part to stop the spread of COVID-19 in our communities.
- All other facilities remain closed to the public until further notice.
- Parks and trails remain open for activities such as hiking, biking or walking. Patrons should use extreme caution and maintain at least 6 feet of distance between themselves and others.
- Team or contact sports such as basketball, football, kickball, softball, and soccer are prohibited.
- Playgrounds remain closed for the safety of our children.
- Cookouts are not permitted in our parks, until further notice.
- Gatherings of 10 or more people are prohibited in the parks per the order of the Governor.
The Department of Parks and Recreation delivers an award-winning park system through progressive, innovative leadership and a commitment to the community and the environment in Prince George’s County. For more on the Department of Parks and Recreation, visit www.pgparks.com and stay connected on Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, YouTube, and Instagram. The M-NCPPC Department of Parks and Recreation encourages and supports the participation of individuals with disabilities in all programs and services.