A pesticide is a substance used to kill, repel, or control pests.
There are many different types of pesticides including:
- Herbicides that control weeds
- Insecticides that control insects
- Fungicides that prevent the growth of molds and mildew
- Disinfectants that prevent the spread of bacteria
- Rodenticides which are compounds used for controlling mice and rats
In addition to traditional synthetic pesticides, there is a group of approved organic products to manage a wide variety of pests. Where resources allow, the Department of Parks and Recreation will strive to utilize organic products that carry the Organic Materials Review Institute’s “OMRI-Certified” seal.