Public Information Request

Maryland Public Information Act (MPIA) Requests


How do I submit a Public Information Act request?

Online Requests may be submitted via our online portal:

Submit Online MPIA Request

Mail Requests may be sent to:

Custodian of Records
Executive Director’s Office
6611 Kenilworth Avenue
Riverdale, MD 20737

We strongly encourage submitting requests electronically for faster processing. Requests will be processed during normal business hours.


What information should be included in my request?

  • Clearly state that you are requesting documents under the Maryland Public Information Act.
  • Provide your name and mailing address. (Including a daytime telephone number is also advisable in case staff needs to contact you for additional information.)
  • Describe the record(s) you are requesting. Please be as specific as possible. Include information such as the type of record, date(s), whether the records relate to  a Montgomery or Prince George’s County facility or park name if applicable, and other pertinent information.

*All requests must be for existing records. The MPIA does not require public agencies create new records.


Affidavit of Indigency

Under GP § 4-206(e), the official custodian may waive any fee or cost assessed under the PIA if the applicant asks for a waiver and if the applicant is indigent, as that term is defined under the Act. An applicant is considered indigent for purposes of the Act if his or her family household income is less than 50% of the median family income for the state, as reported in the Federal Register. GP § 4-206(a)(2).

To obtain a waiver on this basis, the applicant must submit an affidavit of indigency. GP § 4-206(e)(2).

Affidavit of Indigency Form

A completed Affidavit of Indigency form may be submitted as an attachment along with your request.


Who do I contact for more information?

Email or call the Custodian of Records designee at 301-929-7814 for more information.